Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter Scarf Project

Winter is the perfect time to get out those knitting needles and put together an easy project for your doll. One of my favorite projects this winter has been knitting a scarf for each of the dolls my little girls play with.


Daphne is modeling a blue scarf I made for my youngest daughter's doll.  If you haven't tried knitting before it's super easy to learn. There are many online sights that offer simple step by step directions. The required materials are minimal; all you'll need is a pair of knitting needles and yarn.


I've played with several different sized needles and have found that size ten works the best.  The yarn is dense enough for my tastes, yet the pattern is large enough that the project goes quickly.  I love the sugar and cream yarn; it's super soft and as you work it has a nice light peaches and cream scent to it.


For these scarves I cast on 9 stitches.  You can make the scarf thinner or thicker to fit your desired size.  I made the scarves a bit on the long side so that I'd have plenty of length to wrap around the doll or tie up in cute little knots.  These scarves range in length between 26 and 30 inches. 

The type of yarn you buy (the way the pattern and colors repeat) will determine how the completed scarf will look.  This yarn had long sets of color, so it turned out with blocks of color.  The yarn in the scarf below had a color pattern that quickly repeats so the colors seem to seamlessly flow.


This is my favorite scarf because I love the colors in this one.



Each of the scarves took me about 2 hours to complete.  It's lots of fun to work on a knitting project and see the results of your hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment