Friday, January 27, 2012

How to make curtains for you dollhouse

Curtains are a great dollhouse accessory because they can add color to any room and they help decorate for any occasion.

To hang curtains you will need: Command hooks, a hot glue gun and glue, a wooden dowel, and wood pegs for end caps (of course you'll need material for the curtains as well).


I used a snuggle fleece fabric to match a bedspread I made for my daughter's doll bed.


Decide how large you'd like the curtains to be. I wanted my finished project to measure 11inches across by 12 inches down.  You'll want to add 1/2 an inch to each side and 1 1/2 inches to the top of the material so you'll have enough room on the sides to create seams.


I cut my fabric 12 inches wide by 12 1/2 inches long. Next I turned over 1/2 inch on all four sides and sewed the material down in place.  Once you've created the seams, you're ready to sew the tab to insert the curtain rod in. Fold the top of the material over 1 inch and sew closely to the edge so that you'll have room for the rod.



Cut the dowel to the desired length. I cut mine 11 inches long. Insert the rod through the curtain as shown above.



I wanted my curtains to appear full, so I made two panels for each dowel. This gave my curtains a gathered look.


We decided we wanted our end caps colored, so as to make the project look a bit more finished.  I had my son color the end caps in with a magic marker (you can paint the end caps if you prefer).



Once the end caps are dry, hot glue them onto the end of the dowel.  Allow the glue to sit and cool at least an hour so the end caps don't snap off.




Position the command hooks in the desired location, and hang your curtain. Be sure to place the material of the curtain in between the hooks and the end cap outside the hook as this will ensure that your curtains and rod stay in place. Repeat as desired!




It took me under an hour to make and hang four curtain panels for this room.

No comments:

Post a Comment